Before I die, I want…
When I die, I want…
After I die, I want…
Four simple prompts, many different answers.
In this podcast, doctor-in-training Eugene Kim interviews noteworthy people of different ages, gender and racial identities, cultures, faiths, and backgrounds to highlight the common threads between us all, by talking about an inevitable aspect of our life-cycle: Death.
For a deeper dive into the ‘why’ of this project, please read these reflections!
The Dirty Dozen
- YearMonthDay – With Guest
- 20160203 – With Mackenzi Frost
- 20160211 – With Grant Italiano
- 20160218 – With Michael Watson
- 20160225 – With Diego Gomez
- 20160303 – With Ali-Musa Jaffer
- 20160310 – With Randall Sheffield
- 20160317 – With Julia Rauchfuss
- 20160323 – With Bansi Savla
- 20160331 – With Tavia Rahki Smith
- 20160407 – With Jerel Mair
- 20160414 – With Samson Lu
- 20160421 – With Preethi Rajan
- 20160428 – With Carly Waldman
- 20160505 – With Jasmine Kashkoush
- 20160515 – With Afif Abu-Hanna
- 20160519 – With Doug M
- 20160526 – With Bansi Savla
- 20160603 – With Grant Italiano
- 20160609 – With Eugene Kim
- 20160616 – With Par S
- 20160623 – With Nick Plimpton
- 20160630 – With Kenny Henderson
- 20160707 – With Karen Holland
- 20160714 – With Stephen Grow
- 20160721 – With Ian Covell
- 20160728 – With Haley Goetz
- 20160804 – With Ashleigh Stembridge
- 20160811 – With Abigail R
- 20160818 – With Usman Ahmad
- 20160825 – With Ben Croll
- 20160901 – With Jared Roa
- 20160908 – With Julia Rauchfuss
- 20160915 – With Steven Manobianco
- 20160922 – With Dane Rahaman-Singh
- 20160929 – With Michael Watson
- 20161013 – With Robyn Panchard
- 20161027 – With Anne Laverty
- 20161111 – With Diego Gomez
- 20161124 – With Samson Lu
- 20161208 – With Talha Rashid
- 20161222 – With Keaton Fletcher
- 0105 – With Anna Shon
- 0120 – With Tabitha D’Souza
- 0202 – With Brian Bernal
- 0216 – With Meg Scott
- 0302 – With Lui Espinosa
- 0316 – With Kristen Prosen
- 0331 – With AJ Thurston
- 0413 – With Pooja Jayaprakash
- 0427 – With Alana Karma
- 0511 – With Rahul Paul
- 0525 – With Andre Lee
- 0608 – With Emily Duerr
- 0622 – With Joel Eisenberg
- 0708 – With Katrina Wachter
- 0723 – With Dave Del Negro
- 0806 – With M. Singh
- 0817 – With Camille Imbo
- 0831 – With Lucy Horton
- 0914 – With Nic Werbeckes
- 0928 – With Scott H
- 1012 – With Sudhir M
- 1026 – With Cat Thomas
Cat is a 32yo expressive arts facilitator, a multi-modal artist, as well as a feline and canine caretaker.
During this conversation, we cover her journey to this work, her adventures in grandma’s forest, and why she wants to die at 103.
- 1109 – With Christina G
Christina is a 26yo future surgeon, former Christian, and current leader.
In this conversation, we discuss her complicated relationship with a Christian faith, the separation of a cash register, and the importance of integrity.
- 1123 – With Yehia Mishriki
Yehia is a 63yo physician, Christian, and father.
We discussed how his life changed over four hours: becoming a widower 28yrs ago during the birth of his second daughter. We explore his Christian faith and how his belief in perfect love helped him through the challenges of his life. And we even cover Star Trek, Near Death Experiences, and a quantum physics explanation for the existence of God.
- 1207 – With Aleks Bacewicz
Aleks is a 28yo fourth year medical student, future psychiatrist, and dancer.
During this conversation, we discuss her Polish heritage, her love of pole, and her restorative Sunday practices.
- 1221 – With Chris
Chris is a 38yo future family man, survivor, and question mark.
During this conversation, we discuss the mental and emotional recovery from such a traumatic experience. We talk about his feelings towards his uncle, the shooter. And most of all, we ruminate on this opportunity to change, the shift in perspective after a brush with death, and how he plans to move forward with his life.
- 0329 – With Rashad Malik Davis
Rashad is a 26yo creative, lover of stories, and story-teller.
In this conversation, we discuss the painful genesis and healing journey of his book, his deeply rooted spirituality, and the importance of representation in the stories that we tell.
- 0412 – With Caroline Wilson
Caroline is a 19yo college student, positive human, and survivor of a traumatic brain injury.
In this lovely conversation, we discuss the plastic nature of memories especially when you have impaired long-term memory, how a positive reframe of a situation can change your outlook on life, and the nature of social crutches and how they help us function.
- 0426 – With Michael Caron
Michael is a 40yo father, coach, and motivator.
We discuss his formative years through a semester at sea, the wonder of being a new father while being present for a stepdaughter, and his philosophy on leadership and self-development.
- 0510 – With Kristin Clague Reihman
Kristin is a 47yo physician, healer, and mother.
In this interview, we discuss the death of her mother when she was eighteen, her own near death experience fraught with pain, and how her spirituality is connecting with others.
- 0524 – With Eric Garza
Eric is a 41yo professor, hunter, and suicide survivor.
During this conversation, we discuss hunting as connection to landscape, pushing ourselves to take the shot and learn the skills, and the near death experience of his suicide attempt.
- 0611 – With Ayden LeRoux
Ayden is a 29yo artist, writer, and BRCA1+ human.
During this conversation, we discuss the intertwining of science and magic to predict her future health, Land Art installations as spirituality, and how a partner changes our plans for death.
- 0623 – With John Giacalone
John is a 34yo husband, coach, and observer of patterns.
During this conversation, we discuss his vision for the future of both physical medicine and the world at large, speaking with his dying grandfather on the day of his wedding, and why he wants to be the guy that nobody knows.
- 0706 – With Jen Rudolph
Jen is a 39yo journeyer, mother, and wife.
During this conversation, we discuss why she tries to withhold judgment on other minivans, the peace she felt when her grandfather died in his sleep, and why the death of two cousins serves as a reminder to stay present.
- 0720 – With Hunter Frost
Hunter is a 20yo tree climber, country boy, and survivor.
During this conversation we discuss the challenges of tree climbing, the shifts in a 4yr relationship that began at 16, and the harsh perspective of breaking your back in a motor vehicle accident.
- 0803 – With Alana Karma Once Again
Alana is a 22yo survivor, phoenix, and hyper-dimensional immortal alien. Since our last conversation 16mo ago, she endured a horrific car accident that left her in a coma, without the use of her left side, and memory issues because of massive brain swelling. Now, just under a year since the crash, she is recovering function and learning new skills.
During this conversation, we cover the long road between the accident and now, why these events might turn her into a better teacher, and how she has learned to appreciate her left side glitches.
- 0819 – With Jim Goodreau
Jim is a 71yo retired vascular surgeon, Air Force brat, and grieving father.
During this conversation, we discuss his time as a Naval surgeon covering a huge swath of patients, his two strokes, and the immense losses of two of his sons.
- 0831 – With Tasia Percevecz
Tasia is a 28yo athlete, coach, and believer.
In this conversation, we discuss the High, Low, Buffalo of the CrossFit Games, how an abusive relationship now allows her to connect with fellow humans, and her single mother’s strength as she mourned the death of her siblings.
- 0916 – With Alex Szymanski
Alex is a 19yo leader, athlete, and Catholic.
During this conversation, the importance of sharing experiences, we discuss why he does not fear death, and why respect is the cornerstone of leadership.
- 0928 – With John Foley
John is a 29yo athlete, brother, and lover.
During this conversation, we discuss his combative relationship with religion, the roast of his grandmother at her funeral, and why he is learning statistics on his commute to work.